Basement Renovation Tips From Your Ottawa Renovation Experts
Once you know you need more space in your home, you may be considering whether to add on or to rearrange your existing space.
With the first option, you'll be adding an addition onto your home which will need a proper foundation, wiring, possibly plumbing, frame, siding, roof, and shingles. You may also need a window or door. With the second option, you may need to move walls (load bearing or non-load bearing), electrical systems, plumbing systems, or other structures.
Obviously, the first option would be more expensive because you're adding the whole structure, while the second option can be more complicated if it involves moving load bearing walls and plumbing or electrical. Either way, it can get expensive to add on or to rearrange or remodel using your existing space.
There is another solution. Basement renovations can provide you with the necessary space much more affordably since you already have walls, a ceiling, and a foundation. Here are some tips you'll want to know from our Ottawa renovation experts at Milowen General Contracting.
Basement Renovations Could Solve Your Space Problems
Many times, a home will have the furnace, hot water heater or laundry area in the basement already, meaning that the plumbing and ventilation system already exists. Wiring is already in place though you may need additional wiring and an electrical service panel upgrade.
All your framework for the walls are in place, the foundation is there and at least the framework for your ceiling will be there. That makes renovating the basement area one of the best options you have.
Finishing out the basement offers you a wide array of options for what you want to do with the space. Many homeowners will already know what they need as far as additional living areas, but even if you think you know already, it's still worth some thought.
For example, you may have in mind that you need more entertainment space for you and your kids or to entertain friends. There are a few questions you need to ask yourself and decide before you start your basement remodeling project because at some point during the remodeling in Ottawa you'll need to know whether these things were planned for and integrated into the design.
5 Things To Consider About Your Basement Renovations:
- 1) What will your future needs be? Will you possibly need a small or full bathroom? If so, at least plan for the appropriate location and area space you will need during your next project.
- 2) How waterproof is the basement? Will you need to have it sealed, a sump pump put in place? This will have to factor into the preparation of the basement for remodeling and it matters how extensive your preparations will need to be.
- 3) What additional electrical requirements will be needed to suit the purpose of the space? Always allow for additional power needs as your needs may change later. Panel boxes may need to be upgraded or you may need additional electrical system components.
- 4) What type of lighting will you need and how much, where? You'll need to plan out the lighting to be sufficient for anything you have in mind for your basement now and to be added onto later if necessary.
- 5) What will the heating and cooling needs be? You may need duct work or want to consider a mini-ductless air conditioning & heating system.
All these things and more will need to be considered before you make any final decisions about your basement remodel if you don't want to be surprised with problems later. A proper plan will give you an advantage in knowing what to expect.
Give us a call at Milowen General Contracting and we'll be able to answer all your questions and help you come up with the best plan for basement renovations.